Thursday, June 9, 2011

Modulation

I browse through the shops in the mall, because it is much cooler inside than out. The drugstore always has red stickers for On Sale items, but this is not what draws my attention today.  Today I hear the pharmacist talking to a customer, explaining that the insurance doesn’t cover the drugs he needs. She can give it to him, but he will have to pay for it. He speaks with an adorable Indian accent, she undoubtedly fresh off the boat from Cape Town.

Not being able withstand the sweet modulation of words I position myself in front of the turbo-dry for dishwashers. Do you know, I want to ask her standing behind the counter My sister lives where you come from. Her apartment has a balcony with a view on Table Mountain. Do you know my father has been hospitalized a couple of days ago?

The customer is dissatisfied with her explanation and she patiently suggests a generic alternative, but she has to phone the doctor for conformation. He agrees to wait.

Does your family live in Melkbos Strand? Do you also quarrel when they come to visit because you hurt so badly? Do you regret throwing a scene upon departure at the Cape Town Airport because your luggage stacked with items from home got too heavy and more so having to leave them behind? Do you sometimes think that Skype should consider including a touch button?

The turbo dry for dishwashers are On Sale and therefor I will take two.

Photo courtesy of Chris Litschka 

No comments:

Post a Comment